Sunday, February 11, 2007

photography stuff










A few weekends ago I went to a photography event. One of the high school photography club teachers in the area organized this event and invited photo club students from other high schools. So since I pretty much run the photo club at my school, I went. A professional Japanese photographer was there and gave a lecture. Then students had a 2 or 3 hours to shoot 2 rolls of film around the city, and then got them developed and then the photographer gave feed back on the photos. Each student picked 3 of their favorite photos, and then about a $10 gift certificate was given to the top 5 winners for one of the electronic and photo stores here. It was a tiring day, but I enjoyed it because I went with this teacher at my school, Minako Tanaka. MinakoTanaka is an English teacher and I will be teaching with her in April, when the new school year starts. She is also the assigned photography club teacher. She was on leave for 3 years because she had twins. So if you're pregnant and have kids, you can take up to 3 years off, but I don't think you get paid all 3 years, but you're guaranteed your job when you come back. So she started back in September. Anyway her and I have become good friends. My job situation is like 10 times better because of her. She has 4 daughters, the twins who are 3 years old, a 9 year old, and a 12 year old. Her husband is also a teacher at a different high school; he teaches Japanese literature.

Anyway, when the students went around the city taking photos, we split into groups, so Minako and I went with some of the students to help them. I managed to take a few photos myself, but nothing spectacular since I was busy trying to help the students. And so thought I would post a few.

and speaking of photography, I'll be submitting my photos for 2 different photo exhibitions that are coming up soon. One is for the Miyagi Prefecture JET Association art show the 3rd weekend in April, and then the other one I don't know all the details yet, but another JET photographer was looking for a 3rd person to join him and his friend who are entering an exhibition, and I showed him some of my photos and I guess he liked my stuff (or maybe couldn't find anyone else!) and asked me to join their group and submit photos for the exhibition.

2 comments:

  1. amaaazing pictures, and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Tanya. I can't wait to see pictures of Singapore. I miss that country and I can't wait to see it through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete